Since customer behavior has changed with the COVID-19 pandemic, mailmunch's Sania Khan highlights in her blog that it will be more important than ever to adjust your email marketing strategies and suggests considering the following:
- As times are still quite challenging for many people and businesses, it is important to maintain a considerate and empathetic tone in emails, especially when sending automated emails. So, go through all workflows and optimize the emails accordingly or do without them altogether. The fact of the matter is that emotionally intelligent messaging will become more important and email marketers need to be open to adjust their messaging.
- Be an early adopter of agile email marketing, which relies on the principle of taking small steps to reach bigger milestones. Traditionally, marketers used email to sell their products or services; however, with the agile methodology, the purpose shifts to user training and not conversion, making the difference.
- While email is one of the most effective marketing channels, you can't rely on it alone to drive conversions. Therefore, you need to adopt an omnichannel approach where you work on social media marketing, in-app notifications, push notifications, and text messaging to deliver a consistent experience to the subscriber.
- Focus on email automation, which is slowly becoming a best practice, not a trend. Whether it's welcome emails, product recommendations, cart abandonment, or browser abandonment, automated email workflows will prove to be a key growth driver for the ecommerce sector.
- BIMI (Brand Indicators for Message Identification) is becoming one of the most effective approaches to build brand credibility: (1) it helps to build trust, (2) it protects your brand from phishing or spoofing attempts, (3) it boosts your visibility and helps to stand out in the competition, (4) it ensures an optimum email deliverability rate by serving as proof of legitimacy, and all together contribute to a higher conversion rate for your business.
- Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) is one of the hottest trends that can improve subscriber engagement and take the customer experience to the next level. The technology allows users to add events to the calendar, register for an event, book tickets and fill out a contact form, all via email. In other words, users don't need to be redirected to a landing page and can take actions right from the email. If you're an ecommerce store, you can even use AMP to give your customers the option to checkout and complete their purchase through email.
- Invest in designing and coding an HTML email with attractive visuals. In addition to images, you can use things like GIFs, embedded videos, and animated illustrations to give emails a visual punch. Or take the minimalist, monochromatic approach to creating your emails. You need to think outside the box and get creative while considering what works best for your business and audience. Don’t forget to create emails that do not show any issues in either dark or light mode themes to avoid triggering spam filters.
- Since your customer preferences have changed over time, you need to do A/B testing to see what resonates with them. Whether you want to try emojis in email subject lines, use a persuasive and considerate tone in your text, add GIFs or animations to your email, or change the position of your CTA, you need to do A/B testing before making a decision.