Video advertisements are more popular than ever as the rewards can be high for publishers and advertisers considering the move towards the consumption of video on multiple screens. Reason enough to get familiarity with the medium, don’t you think? Besides, scientists claim that the human attention span has finally reached the level of a goldfish – and even undercuts it – which is definitely a good reason to consider video advertising to convey a message.
The experts in marketing and communications have long since known that texts are flown over, decisions about the sharing of an image are made in nanoseconds and that it becomes increasingly difficult to arouse attention. Obviously, all these are convincing arguments why visual content enjoys priority in social media and gains popularity among digital marketers.
Videos tell their own tale and are highly qualified to get an audience attention, which is why the following statistical and practical reasons in favor of videos should be of interest.
- While it was still possible to concentrate for 12 seconds in 2000, it‘s now down to only 8.25 seconds, which is frightening when considering that the average attention span of a goldfish is 9 seconds. (Statisticbrain)
- Most web traffic already takes place in the video format and its share is constantly growing (Cisco Visual Networking Index).
- 59% of CEOs would rather watch a video than read an article (Forbes Insight).
- A video on a site can grow the conversion by more than 80% (Eyeviewdigital) and if videos are clearly mentioned in the newsletter, the opening rate rose by 58% (Vinyard).
- 73% of consumers claim to rather buy a product after watching a video (ReelSEO).
- Most people in your target group are likely visual learners and others more likely manage to remember visual content better (e.g., 3M Group).
- Videos on social media are shared around 1,200% more often than texts and images together.
- Marketers, who rely on video, can reach almost 50% faster revenue growth.
- By now, Facebook users watch almost 100 million hours of video content daily.
- 62% of Google's universal search include video content.
- Videos have a 50 times higher chance to get a good ranking on Google than just plain text.
- 93% of marketers are using videos in online marketing and sales.
The human mind is built for following and remembering stories, therefore videos are the perfect medium to tell the stories. In general, people are interested in people, not companies, and in videos, you can easily put people at the center. Videos are simply more personal than other media and are often shared. Not to mention that videos are going to be very strong on mobile phones. To no surprise, experts predict a sharp rise in video internet traffic, as well as an increase of branded video content, as videos manage to span the line between interactivity and brevity effortlessly.
Especially descriptions and instructions work very well as videos, because in these cases online is often searched. Through videos you also improve your search engine visibility and advertising in videos, for example on Youtube, is cheap and effective.
Furthermore, when used for marketing purposes, the contribution and achievements of videos are obvious:
- Videos drive traffic to the website: Shared more often than any other content, videos help to drive traffic to the website through social media and newsletters. Make sure that both the video and the video portal provide clear options and suggestions to visit your site.
- Videos keep visitors on the website: Offer website visitors simple, quick, and relevant information or entertainment. Videos are a convenient format for doing so, since visitors spend more time on sites with video, and videos can also be used as a tool for giving instructions.
- Videos motivate visitors to buy: Visitors, who viewed a video about a product, opt more often for the purchase. In fact, a good video can also sometimes replace customer service (instructions) or even sales meetings (product presentations). A video can help that way to turn your website visitors into customers which explains as well why you should always use clear call-to-action: "Book Now" or "Request a Demo".
Keeping up with the ever-changing digital business environment, however, doesn't seem to be as easy as it looks, since there are still enough brands showcasing a weak online visibility. The online experience is made up of many factors and the online presence needs to be comprehensive and convincing. Since the brand experience affects customer loyalty and the quality of experience, it has a direct impact on the sales figures.
With video, you get more for your marketing budget. Even PR can no longer live without it, as sending press releases to journalists and building relationships on events just isn't enough today: Press releases must be digitally available and be shared on social media. The PR agency or department, and in the best case the employees, should be presented online as experts, where networking nowadays primarily takes place. Anyway, companies that know how to use videos to their advantage, will stand out from the crowd.